Eye, eye, eye

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 10:14:44 -0500 (EST)

I sez ZZ gots no eyes;
David Cake and David Dunham point out, "Well, the Prosopaedia says he does."

Yeah. Well, just because some Godlearner git wrote it, don't mean it's true. <g> I'll bet some troll just lied to 'em ("Why _yes_, Zorak Zoran has eyes." "Pssst! Tell them he has _three_! Snicker. And that his fanny is magical!").

On a more serious note: I honestly don't think he was _born_ with them. As a Darkness critter, I prefer to think that he didn't need eyes at all.
(Well, yeah, the uzuz have them, but ZZ is from a darker, more primal
Darkness, IMO. And the uzuz may not have had them in Wonderhome -- could be a late adaption, or something picked up for that fun Gore & Gash style surface-world raiding. After all, you don't need long-distance vision in caves, much).

Now, perhaps he has eyeballs he stole from other Gods -- once he decides the sight thing is handy on the surface world, he rips out the next few he runs across and sticks them in his head. (The Hill of Gold: it's not just for Fire Powers anymore). Would nicely explain why he has three
("Hell, might as well add a spare!"). And, by this, he could well have
three differently colored eyes!

You could probably get a nice ZZ heroquest from this: ritually poking out one's own uz eyes, and inserting eyes from powerful foes you kill. Might gain some neat abilities, depending on whose eyes you snitch. Or perhaps you can keep your old set, and swap 'em in and out as circumstances suggest. ("Well, time to raid the elf forest. Where'd I stick those aldryami eyes...?")

Or maybe he still _doesn't_ have eyes, and the trolls just portray him with them. After all, they portray him as a troll or a human, and he's neither -- he's a Zorakanoid, or whatever. Of quite undescribed original shape. So since the general shape is "wrong", the details aren't necessarily right. (A hazy area of whether or not there's an unobjective truth to his shape, but...)

Um, sorry, Simon Phipp. This was supposed to be an example of the kind of pointless academic debate we _weren't_ supposed to talk about, wasn't it...? <g> You've given the monster life! LIFE! Bwahahahahaha!

James Frusetta