Re: Aelwrin and Lodril

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 97 21:43 MET

Simon Phipp in reply to Pam Carlson who asks about Aelwrin:

>> I think Aelwin's cult has got to be Lodril.

>Nice idea, but he is from Pent, taken when the nomads invaded the
>Empire after their long rest.

Wasn't he a Redlander? Border settlers forced out of the empire, hard working farmers who sometimes told the Empire what they thought of paying taxes and being raided by Pentans the same year?

>If the Pentians are anything like the
>Grazelanders (probable since the Grazers were originally a Pentian
>tribe) then Lodril would be a Vendref cult and hence unlikely to have
>taken part in a concerted attack on the Empire. (I can't believe that
>Aelwrin would be one of the Vendref - too lowly for a mighty hero).

That's the point of his choice of weaponry, later. The Redland revolt preceded the great slave revolt, which seems to have taken place in Aggar.