Humakti

From: Ed Tonry <etonry_at_niu.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 23:06:50 -0500

Simon Phipp writes:

>On geases, Joseph seems of the view that Humakt is very tolerant and
>does not mind if his worshippers transgress because, after all, they
>are only human. I take the opposite view - if a Humakti breaks a
>geas, for whatever reason, his sword will shatter into a million
>shards as will any sword he takes as his own.

I certainly do not agree with Joseph on this, though I'm not as hard as Simon. There should be a penalty, but the broken sword punishment should be reserved for the worst offenses. But the matter has never actually come up in our campaign - 15 years, as many as 6 Humakti at a time, and no broken geases. We're _very_ respectful of our god; he _is_ the god of death, after all.

>On resurrection:
>We play that Humakti can be resurrected, otherwise nobody would play
>them.

Oh, foul heretic! Off with his head! :-) Our two longest lived characters are Humakti. One is an original, in the campaign for all 15+ years. The other is 2nd generation, about two or three months younger. We've had some close calls, saved only by DI or hasty Heal spells. This is what makes playing a Humakti interesting - - trying to keep him alive against all the odds. There's no sense of real danger if you know you can get resurrected.

>PCs' interpretation of geases range from:
>Never Ambush - sneaking up behind someone and coughing loudly while
>swinging a Greatsword.

Our PC's have become very adept at giving as little warning as possible before an attack, as long as the odds are against them. In a fairly matched fight, they see no reason to take an edge.

>Never Lie - putting every statement through the semantologists to
>determine that it was not actually a lie.

We never lie, but we don't always tell the whole truth. And sometimes the truth we tell is worded so as to be, shall we say, confusing. If the hearer is misled, that's his problem.

>Challenge (Opponent) - They are very good at playing chess.

Challenge means weapons. Dangerous (especially when a trollkin got a critical on my PC), but fun.

>Use only cult weapons - bummer.

If any of our PC's had this geas it would be a problem, but not a real serious one.

>Never accept Healing - It was forced on me, I was unconcious and had
>no choice, anyway I did not accept it, I have forgotten the spell,
>even though my allied spirit has not.

Again, not a geas we have, but one the GM's would certainly enforce strongly. "Oh, look, Ingmar's illegally healed leg is turning black and smells awful! We'll have to cut it off."

Ed Tonry