Victory through Bug Power

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 23:11:57 -0500 (EST)

I said, David Weihe suggests:

> How in the world would you fight other airborne opponents?
:Attack with a non-trolled group of their natural predators (or natural
:prey, just to disrupt the attack) (or other solutions. There was a
:Crusader victory that supposedly occurred when the Crusader stallions
:ran into Moslem mares :-) .

Least favored jobs of Solar troll killers: herding the female Giant Mantises in rut to the battlefield... dressing up like Tarantula Prey to lure off the spiders (this is easy, since Yelmalians _are_ the natural food of giant tarantulas, IMO)... sending in your vrok hawk to attack the troll air armada... <g>

What I'm really fishing for, here, is how to go about the difficult business of combat in the sky. For some reason, I'm stumped: either it's basically melee (they fly up to each other, stop, and fight) or it's "charging" (you fly by, attack, then you're gone) or it's "magic" (you fly around, zap at people, then fly home). I suspect I'm missing something fundemental, but I can't put my finger on it. No, it won't be 20th century air combat, but... :(

:> trollkin pilots, it somehwat limits your spell opporunities (with their
:> weaker POW & INT), IMO, but I suppose Disruption & Slow are decent
:> options. Hmm. Any thoughts on this 'un?
:Mindlink a Mistress Troll with the trollkin, and run the little guy
:like a robot.

What a great idea! If you don't mind the risk, and have Mindlink to spare, you could link up a little squadron of 'em -- four or six bee-riders mindlinked could probably intercept anything up to a dream dragon that comes after the bombers... Even mindspeech would be quite useful, natch. Hmmm. Little trollkin RPVs... I like it! And for special troll holidays, you can have them fly in tight formation, do loop-the- loops, the works. Have 'em smoke big stogies to produce smoke trails. <g>

And Disruption might be enough, on second thought -- a good disruption hit in the wing will knock out a fly, two hits a bee, moth or mantis. So an aerial battle might easily be flying around and attempting to disrupt your foes, while keeping enough healing to keep your own mount in good shape. Gives a nice "Star Wars" feel, I suppose. And since I can't imagine it'd be easy to turn around and look behind you when your bee's speeding along, it introduces concepts like "tailing" that are fun. :) If you allow aimed blows for spells (IMG, I do for _some_ spells) then it encourages you to wait until the last second to get that aimed, accurate shot in -- at the risk your opponent may jink off. A hovering bee (or a slower bomber bug) doesn't have the same restriction, and has a somewhat better arc of fire, but then gives the initiative to their opponent.

And, of course, your ground-pounders can use Disruption for flak, if/when your fliers deign to come within range. Hmmm.

I love it!

All hail the invincible Troll Air Force! Victory through Bug Power!

James Frusetta

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #207