Re: Victory through Bug Power

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_gsidanet.danet.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 97 12:32:59 EST

> From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
> What I'm really fishing for, here, is how to go about the difficult
> business of combat in the sky. For some reason, I'm stumped: either it's
> basically melee (they fly up to each other, stop, and fight) or it's
> "charging" (you fly by, attack, then you're gone) or it's "magic" (you fly
> around, zap at people, then fly home). I suspect I'm missing something
> fundemental, but I can't put my finger on it. No, it won't be 20th
> century air combat, but... :(

Actually, it will be. Most air victories are essentially ambushes, where side A sees side B, manuvoers behind (I think and below for planes, above for hawks) and attacks B without B knowing what hit him/her/it; the same tactics for hawks as Hawker Hurricanes. Expect one group to fly high (ideally, in the cloud cover) until the enemy is sighted. When they are, dive on them. When it doesn't work, get out and regroup. Rather like 3-D nomad cavalry battles, without as much terrain.

The only non-traditional tactic will be the Gloranthan variant of the LePage Glue Gun joke from Catch-22; on Glorantha you actually CAN glue entire formations together, with a few tons of the Karshtkid stuff (pratzim??) Telekineted at the attackers. Alternately, equip pilots with combat nets, to entangle the enemy flyer's wings.

> you to wait until the last second to get that aimed, accurate shot in --
> at the risk your opponent may jink off. A hovering bee (or a slower bomber
> bug) doesn't have the same restriction, and has a somewhat better arc of
> fire, but then gives the initiative to their opponent.

The hoverers can use the same nasty tactics that Harriers can use. Get the enemy to chase you at high speed, then stop in the middle of the air. When they shoot by, you can catch them in nets. hit them with clubs, whatever, then attack them from behind.

> All hail the invincible Troll Air Force! Victory through Bug Power!

Alas, you forget that many insects are drawn towards lights at night. Fly high, then fire burning arrows onto the ground, and the Solars laugh as the enemy flyers all powerdive into the ground. Victims, trapped by their own instincts! Or use sylphs to attack the insects, and blow them from the sky.

                It's never THAT easy.