Poor dead horse...

From: nilsw_at_ibm.net
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 97 23:02:25

God learners:

Peter Metcalfe:

>>However, the GL monomyth is the _closest thing_ to an "objective
>>history/mythology" that we do have.

>No it isn't. The bits in Trollpak, Cults of Terror, Cults of Prax
>etc are not GL monomyths. They are Lhankor Mhy imitations. Trollpak
>for example, bends over backwards to be fair to the Uz which is
>something no God Learner would do!

These publications are neither god learner nor Lhankor Mhy documents. They are modern day earth books intended to be useful as game supplements. Sure, they contain short snips of Gloranthan perspective text.

But, where did the Lhankor Mhy scientist tradition come from, and what kind of sources do they use, if not god learner traditions and text fragments.

>>The GLs were destroyed partly because they were too close to the "truth".

>They *had* the truth for several centuries and nothing bad happened
>to them.

They didn't discover the monomyth complete and fleshed out. The mapping/interpolation/meddling took them those centuries. Finally they knew enough to be really dangerous meddlers. They brought doom on their self gradually.

Runes:

Me:

>Of course they are. The illustration in Griffin Mountain of the
>mounted dragonewt with a deagonewt rune shaped rune is too cool to be
>disregarded.

Aaaagh! dragonewt rune shaped _shield_ damnit!

Humakti:

>>Use only cult weapons - bummer.
>
>If any of our PC's had this geas it would be a problem, but not a real
>serious one.

Hardly a big problem no. Etarr Scarface, one of my favourite Gloranthan characters was a Humakti who _never_ used any weapon but a broadsword. He did pretty well.

Weinander            | Everything is dust in the wind Home:
nilsw_at_ibm.net       |

Office: nils_at_carasoft.se |
WWW: http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/