Re: Monomyth

From: Robin D. Laws <rdl_at_ican.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 11:54:06 -0500

Simon -

>I would prefer to have the myths set down in a similar style to
>those in Troll Pack and Cults of Terror, clear, concise and factual,
>just so we know what went on.

However, the major theme of Greg's post-RQ Glorantha work is the unknowability of myth and history. If you read the myths in the earlier books as "factual", Greg gets to zap you for an extra bit of bogglement when you read the new stuff and realize that the Godtime isn't a universal, that Orlanth may or may not be a late addition to the Yelm worshippers' myths about the sun falling from the sky, and so on.

>Anyhow, that's my view. Unfortunately, this will never occur because
>those against the idea of a rationally-based game-world where the
>mythology is actually well-defined are in a vast majority.

I don't know if the majority will has much to do with it. Right now there are no commercially viable Glorantha products coming out of Chaosium, so the new material we're seeing can afford to have a high obscurity factor. A new wave of products from Chaosium will have to be simpler and more expository so that new buyers can begin to understand the world.

However, within that simpler material, I imagine there might be a few tricksterish traps for the unwary...

>I cannot
>for the life of me see why people would prefer that their myths were
>confusing, ill-defined and contradictory. Surely it would be better
>to know what actually happened, rather than what people think
>happened.

For one thing, the uncertainty simulates real world interaction with myth. What "actually happened" in Jerusalem 2,000 years ago? Which set of overlapping myths is correct: the Christian, the Jewish, or the Islamic?

Take care >>> Robin