Truth

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 21:12:00 +0000

The concept of truth as known by items has always fascinated me. I think we can agree that the Flame of Sartar is a special case, but what about those enchantments with conditions about "will only work for one of my descendants". How does the enchantment know?

Come to think of it, those truth-detection spells (L, Mhy, Humakt, and so on): are they detecting objective or subjective truth? That is, do they detect that the guy speaking doesn't believe what he's saying, or do they compare the facts stated with The One Truth? If the latter, how do they get hold of this One Truth that LM is supposedly still searching for? And if a divine spell from the God of Knowledge can't do this kind of trick, how does a measly little enchantment do it?

And just to get really nasty.... if a Detect Truth type spell goes up against a Lie spell, which wins?

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/