100% attack/parry

From: Frederic J-M Moulin <moulinfr_at_pilot.msu.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 05:22:13 -0500

> But here's an interesting question: if a fighter has a 97% skill,
>and casts Strength 2 raising his chance to hit to 100%, does he then get
>to split attacks? From a character perspective, how does s/he know that
>this is now possible?

I have always considered (and enforced...) that the 100% requirement is a game representation of a mastering of swordfighting techniques highly above the average. My interpretation of the rules is that the PC needs to have 100% in his skill (and not in his Skill + attack Modifier + Magic modifier + Situation modifier...) and his skill only. Now I know that my PCs grumble a little, but it's the same for NPCs. And it has the advantage of taking care of any kind of weird situations the PCs may think off (...Now I an attacking from behind and above and he is surprised +35% and I have bladesharp 6 +30% and I am fanatic +25%: total 123%. Do I get to split my attack ???)
But then, I like low power gaming...
Frederic