RE: Bladesharp and split attacks

From: Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG <bernuetz.oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 17:55:45 -0500

>Peter Maranci
>Subject: Bladesharp and split attacks
>
> Here's a rules question, of sorts:
>
> A fighter has a skill of 100%. He casts Bladesharp 4 on his
>sword, adding 20% to his chance to hit, and +4 damage. In combat, he
>splits his attacks.
>
> The question: does he make each attack at 60%, or 70%? In other
>words, does he add the full Bladesharp effect to each attack, or is the
>increased chance to hit split between all attacks made in the round?
>
> My own interpretation is that the Bladesharp spell is a weapon
>enhancement, and as such has full effect every time the weapon is used.
>After all, no one suggests that only half of the additional damage be done
>on each of the two attacks.

I've always interpreted it the same way. I also do all halving of chances before adding any other modifiers like being behind someone or a target lying down. (It work's the same for disadvantages too). That's how my reading of the rules works anyway.

> On the other hand, I assume that a warrior with an 80% skill and a
>Bladesharp 4 does not get to split attacks at all. The skill must be his
>own.

Agreed.

> But here's an interesting question: if a fighter has a 97% skill,
>and casts Strength 2 raising his chance to hit to 100%, does he then get
>to split attacks? From a character perspective, how does s/he know that
>this is now possible?

It's a pretty artificial system. I'd say no (and here's a reasonable sounding justification) because his or her body can't get used to the idea of swinging twice in the short intervals his or her chance is over 100%.

Now if the character used to have a skill of over 100% and then they lose some DEX to the Shakes and their skill drops below 100% can they then use two attacks? Or will using the DEX spell help them to regain the ability since their body is used to the idea? Hmmm....

Oliver D. Bernuetz
bernuetz.oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #213