Games to play with Gloranthans.

From: Dr. Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 23:28:34 GMT

Now that Chaosium are (allegedly) back in the boardgame market, it occurs to me to broach the subject of Lunar boardgames. But while the wargame style products are very nice, I think they lose a lot of the flavour that would be possible in, say, a more politically-oriented game, to say nothing of a more mythological one.

For those of you at all familiar with the (AH) boardgame _Kremlin_, my current working hypothesis for the development of a game of Lunar Grand Stragegy is that one should run _Republic of Rome_ and Kremlin together at high speed, transfer the resultant mess to intensive care, and try to stitch the ungodly mess together into a seamless whole, possibly adding in a touch of _Imperium Romanum II_ and _Junta_ en route. A key problem with a large-scale Lunar game would appear to be How to Handle the Emperor. (Just like lunar politics, really.) He seems too powerful to be feasible as a single player "faction", while too important, and too "hands on" to be left as a deus ex games mechanic. The "influence point" sort of idea of Kremlin may offer a work-around. If anyone has looked into this area seriously and found any solutions (or more problems), or even has a few wacky ideas to bat around, come to that, I'd be keen to hear 'em.

Slainte,
Alex.