Re: Coins

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_gsidanet.danet.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 97 20:50:45 EST

> From: "Jane Williams" <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
> The concept of truth as known by items has always fascinated me. I think
> we can agree that the Flame of Sartar is a special case, but what about
> those enchantments with conditions about "will only work for one of my
> descendants". How does the enchantment know?

Part of the enchantment requires your blood, so that it knews you. Not much, of course, just a few drops. Alternately, the enchantment can detect a trait in your descendents so obscure that only a Daka Fal Superhero could describe it.

The problem is when you make link conditions regarding things that you have no access to. How this works, on Glorantha, I leave to my characters to know, as it seems that it should be forbidden by Bonewits' Laws, due to lack of Correspondances, but is legal according to the spell description.

> Come to think of it, those truth-detection spells (L, Mhy, Humakt, and so
> on): are they detecting objective or subjective truth? That is, do they
> detect that the guy speaking doesn't believe what he's saying, or do they
> compare the facts stated with The One Truth?

Since LM can't know everything (it's in the LightBringer's Quest, so don't call ME a blasphemer), it must be Truth as the speaker knows it.

> And just to get really nasty.... if a Detect Truth type spell goes up
> against a Lie spell, which wins?

Trickster vs LM? Which do you think? LM hasn't a chance, I'm afraid.

> Who mints the coins in Sartar, anyway? Pre-occupation, that is.
> Is it a centralised thing, with a mint in Boldhome, or do all the tribes
> mint their own, or both, or what?

Minting is the type of thing only done by centralized governments or merchant leagues, like having standing armies. Thus, in Sartar only the Prince would have any thoughts of it. In the Holy Country, with the much larger tribes, it could be done tribally, though I would doubt it.

> Oh, and while I've heard of coins made of copper, silver, and gold, how
> about other metals? Iron coins, for the ludicrously wealthy?

Iron is too tough to coin with. Likewise, the aluminum of the Merfolk.