Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #214

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 07:30:08 -0500 (EST)

 David Weihe <weihe_at_gsidanet.danet.com> noted...

> Minting is the type of thing only done by centralized governments or
> merchant
> leagues, like having standing armies. Thus, in Sartar only the Prince
would
> have any thoughts of it. In the Holy Country, with the much larger tribes,

> it
> could be done tribally, though I would doubt it.

      Well, in what passes for the Real World plenty of folk have minted coinage when there wasn't an adequate supply from the central government; in colonial America or Gold Rush California and Alaska and I would assume in other countries. Heck, in Glorantha there's that rune spell for some Yelmie trade cult (whose name I forget) that makes a certain amount of gold into nicely "minted" Wheels. If there's a lack of coinage (and a real need for it) some smith or trader is going to fill the void.

      I suppose it depends on what one wants in their Glorantha. Still, there's some appeal in some smith in Sartar taking in Lunars, melting them down, and then minting Free Sartar Pennies. Hmm, with slogans in Stormspeech....

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...