Re: Bladesharp & Split Attacks

From: Donald Wachenschwanz <donald.wachenschwanz_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 17:43:06 -0800

Peter Maranci wrote:

> A fighter has a skill of 100%. He casts Bladesharp 4 on his
> sword, adding 20% to his chance to hit, and +4 damage. In combat, he
> splits his attacks.
>
> The question: does he make each attack at 60%, or 70%? In other
> words, does he add the full Bladesharp effect to each attack, or is the
> increased chance to hit split between all attacks made in the round?
>
> My own interpretation is that the Bladesharp spell is a weapon
> enhancement, and as such has full effect every time the weapon is used.
> After all, no one suggests that only half of the additional damage be done
> on each of the two attacks.

That's how our group interprets it.

> On the other hand, I assume that a warrior with an 80% skill and a
> Bladesharp 4 does not get to split attacks at all. The skill must be his
> own.

We have always given the split attack because we understood it as a magical enhancement of skill, not merely an increased chance of connecting with the target.

> But here's an interesting question: if a fighter has a 97% skill,
> and casts Strength 2 raising his chance to hit to 100%, does he then get
> to split attacks? From a character perspective, how does s/he know that
> this is now possible?

Now that's a question I don't remember our group encountering before. But given that Strength is not a skill enhancing spell, I guess we would probably agree not to--well, at least everyone except the player with the Strength increase.

Donald