dem bolgs, dem dry bolgs...

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 16:42:56 +1300

James Frusetta:

>How do people deal with _at_#$@# bolgs? Yeah, it was probably funny as
>heck when SP & GS wrote it up, but it's a pain and a half using them
>-- they don't save weight, so there's no real reason to use them
>instead of just barter.

I presume the problem is their cost. When among Trolls themselves, they are roughly worth a silver. But when the hoomanz enter the transaction, the bolg value plummets to a 10th of a clack.

Thus for a true to buy a scroll worth 100L from an Argan Argar Merchant would cost him 100 bolgs.

If a Hooman tried to do the same, it should cost him 10,000 bolgs.

This is what I think was the intent of what was written in Trollpak.

Although it's not spelt out, I think that when an Argan Argar merchant buys a 100L scroll from a hooman, he will pay the sum of 100 bolgs because the lead has not been contaminated by passing through hooman handz as yet. But if hooman wantz to buy scroll back, hohohohoho ker-CHING!!!, the price has gone up in bolg terms.

However this does mean that the hoomanz are getting a great deal at Thunderbreath Gobbleguts and pay a clack whereas most uz pay a silver. Perhaps they're trying to attract hoomanz?