Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #212

From: Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_fit.qut.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 17:52:39 +1000 (EST)

> > Here's a rules question, of sorts:
> >
> > A fighter has a skill of 100%. He casts Bladesharp 4 on his
> >sword, adding 20% to his chance to hit, and +4 damage. In combat, he
> >splits his attacks.
> >
> > The question: does he make each attack at 60%, or 70%? In other
> >words, does he add the full Bladesharp effect to each attack, or is the
> >increased chance to hit split between all attacks made in the round?
> >
> > My own interpretation is that the Bladesharp spell is a weapon
> >enhancement, and as such has full effect every time the weapon is used.
> >After all, no one suggests that only half of the additional damage be done
> >on each of the two attacks.
> >
> > On the other hand, I assume that a warrior with an 80% skill and a
> >Bladesharp 4 does not get to split attacks at all. The skill must be his
> >own.
>
> In RQ2, bladesharp is only added once so in the first case you could do 2
> attacks at 60%, not 70.
> (I usually let players split attacks non evenly, but all attacks must be at
> least at 50%, so in the previous example you could have done a 50 and 70
> percent attacks.)

I agree this is the RQ2 rules... but say you were fighting a spirit. Only your bladesharp actually does it damage say. If you attacked twice, and only hit it once, would you do 4 points of damage or only 2?

Sigh. As usual, when the rules are written down, as with laws in Real Earth, there's always problems. If the rules aren't written down, you just call it an institution ;-)

Robert