Re: DragonNewts and Writing

From: Peter Linton Tracy <937058_at_bud.cc.swin.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 21:37:17 +1100 (EST)

Peter Metcalf wrote:

> They don't have a written language. Written Auld Wyrmish was invented by
> clever scholars in the second age.

Which would have been after the sharing of all those great dragon secrets with the EWF. Also, what about all the carvings on the dragonnewt plinths dotting the world, esp. Sartar? What about tatooing?

IMHO D'newts do write (when they feel it is required, which it often is not), and comprehend symbols, written text and language, it was just that mankind had more inclination to write things down since they were not properly draconic (ie; REAL dragons don't write things down, they just remember everything. D'newts emulate Dragon behaviour, or become mortal trying).

I like the idea of Dragonnewts being formerly Newtlings, lots of potential ofr MGF. Lends credibility to the Path of Imanent Mastery, and reveals the dangers of becoming too close to dragonkind.

... also the secret of Dragon 'speech' was in the hands of the cult of Drolgard (?), before being pinched by the GL's, who taught lots of folk who then went to talk to the Inhuman King. (see G/G:CothW) I don't recal references to the written tounge at all, and no-one has been inside the Dragons eye for oh-so-long. (although I was planning a trip in Jan '98 ;-)

Peter Tracy.

... just an idea, but does anyone have any opinions on Yelm the 'Youf'?! ;-)