ZZ's baby blues

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:14:40 -0500 (EST)

Lewis Jardine writes:

:Yes, I like the symbolism of Ice Blue Staring Eyes for ZZ.
:However, this symbolism is nothing particularly original.
And lost on trolls: "Blue? Huh? Whazzat?" Any kind of eye color myth would either have him with red eyes (since dats da only color us Uz can see, what?), or introduced by Human worshippers on the Surface.

:Perhaps ZZ has bright red hair to go with the Ice Blue eyes?
:The symbolism seems to fit...

Being a blue-eyed redhead, I'm not sure what to make of this... ;) Red is, natch, the "cult color" of ZZ, so I do kind of like the idea.

:The next question is fairly obvious; does this support the idea
:that ZZ was not originally a troll...

IMO, nope. He doesn't descend from the man-rune, after all -- heresy of heresies, *Kyger Litor* wasn't originally a troll. Yow. ZZ maybe later assumed the shape of a troll, but I can't see him getting born as one. _Unless_ the shifty weasel was originally the eighth sacred ancestor who was kicked out of the family for general uncouthness and being a bum, but I wouldn't suggest that one to trolls, myself.

And he may pre-date the adoption of the man rune -- I always have thought he did, but the myths are sorta vague on this one ("born sometime during this era..."). If he was, then why would he have been a troll before Kyger Litor creates the trolls?

James Frusetta