odd topics

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 20:39:49 +1300

Christoph Luehr:

>Shamans in RQ need foci for their animistic spells.
>But what about initiates and priests ? Do they need foci to ? Or are
>their spells just given by the gods, so that they don't need foci ?

I don't think they need focii but I do think that if their faith is the basis of the spells (ie spirit magic from divine cults are just low grade divine magic), then they should suffer some penalty, if they apostate IMO.

I believe that INT shouldn't be needed to learn or remember truely animistic spells (ie those learned by hsunchen) and that it should be dependant on spiritual strength. But my thoughts on this are unfinished as yet.

Simon D. Hibbs:

Me>>[The world council and the god learners] both thought they were
>>uncovering the historical truth but their methodology is _flawed_.
>>It is all very well to say that Orlanth slew Yelm and unify the
>>two mythologies but if Orlanth and Yelm never met, then the myth
>>is _unhistorical_.

>Assuming that saying they 'met' in a historical sense is meaningfull
>for gods. If you can prove that they met in myth, then what's the
>problem?

None whatsoever. I am arguing against the thesis that such myths _must_ be _historically_ true and that no other myth variant can exist in glorantha. I do not believe that altering the myth alters the historical past.

Nils Weinander:

>Which brings a nice hen (newt?) and egg situation: if there were
>originally no dragonewts (immature dragons) where did these tutelary
>dragons come from?

From long extinct species that lived in the Dragon Age.