newts and umatum

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 22:03:29 +1300

Simon Phipp:

Me>> Because they were originally ordinary newts who worshipped
>> the river and later draconized themselves under the tutelage
>> of the Dragons that originally lived there? Explains the
>> relationship between the Newtlings (who can speak Auld Wyrmish
>> up to 50%) and the Dragonewts IMO.

>What???? You cannot actually believe this?

Apparently I do.

>I know that bad Dragonewts
>are occasionally reborn as newtlings, but this is beyond a joke.

I don't know about you but IMG Magisaurs and Newtlings are seperate species.

>Dragonewts are born of immature Dragon Eggs laid by immature Dragons.
>This is their very nature. Why would they be draconized newtlings?

That's what their mythology *says*. But it notably fails to explain why newtlings, a non-draconic species, are considered cousins to the Dragonewts. Why do the Dragonewts make slaves of Newtlings? Why do Dragonewts send embassies to Newtling enclaves (like the Five Eyes Temple)?

Me>> I don't understand as this is what Orlanth's Ring now does. Why
>> shouldn't it be doing what it did in the Good Old days rather than
>> having to mirror what some two-bit demigod did when he climbed up
>> some molehill?

>"Two-bit demigod"? Strange description of the father of Storm, but
>never mind.

Er, Umath *is* Storm according to the monomyth but never mind...

>What do you mean about the "Old Days"?

Days before the Great darkness. Refer back to the debate two or three months ago about whether time existed before the Dawn.

>What do you think
>Orlanth's Ring is/was? You say it was a planet - which one, why is it
>now a collection of stars and what happened to it? I thought it was
>created by Orlanth as a symbol of his power and as such travelled how
>he wanted it to.

In the Ivory Pages edition of the GRAY, there is reference to how Umatum, a planet, circles inwards and disturbs the orbits of various other planets (some which drop like stones, others go flying off the ends of the earth etc) before being cast down by Shargash. IMO the current stars of Orlanth's ring are the shattered fragments of the original planet Umatum.