Women warriors; enchantments

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 13:50:33 -0800

V.S. Greene wondered

> there are dozens, hundreds,
> thousands of Gloranthan woman warriors who have children but don't elect to
> quit being warriors because of it. Is there some cultural way of dealing with
> this?

You bet. It's called kin. In my East Ralios game, I figure the Vingan character can go adventuring any time. She has all sorts of grandparents, aunts, uncles, in-laws, cousins, etc. she can leave her child with.

BTW, in my Glorantha, Sartarite women typically dress like Icelandic women, with an over-dress fastened by "turtle brooches." Vingan women wear the trousers of a man, but they still wear the over-dress -- they're still women, still interested in fashion. Babeester Gor women might dress in the Tarsh style seen in Tarsh War (a shirt and skirt) or simply like a male warrior.

> Do blind people and trolls have foci that you touch instead of look at?

Don't see why not. Or smell (depending on species).

Peter Maranci wondered about the types of enchantments. Given that 3 points of Armoring Enchantment can render my head invulnerable to a dagger, and 3 points of Strengthening Enchantment merely let my head sustain twice as many dagger blows, why would anyone bother with Strengthening? Well, maybe those non-Humakti, who can wear armor everywhere...

BTW, in my game, you can certainly ruin someone else's tattoo enchantment by removing the relevant skin (or body part), but you don't gain use of the enchantment thereby -- it's somehow tied to the individual. (You could have a slave covered with spell and magic point matrices which you could use, of course.)