Sorana Tor

From: Malcolm Serabian <R_Carter_at_msn.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 97 14:49:45 UT

I've been contemplating a campaign set in Tarsh around the time on Hon-eel's conquest of that land. In preparation I've been trying to develop the culture and history of the Tarshites. Naturally I've run into a number of problems reconciling KoS, "The Carving of Tarsh" article from Wyrm's Footprints, and the Maran Gor cult write up from Tales. My problems begin at the very beginning of course.

Mystery 1 surrounds Sorana Tor and her goddess.

It clearly states in "The Carving of Tarsh" that 'Sarana-tor' is the "High Priestess of the Shaking Earth." It goes on to state that they were lovers and founders of the Twins Dynasty.

KoS, CHDP states that Arim courted Sorana Tor the Priestess, and the "King's of Tarsh" page identifies them as the parents of the twins Vestenbora, and Vastapoor. It does not name the goddess to whom Sorana Tor worships. The section on Arim ends with the statement " his body was taken below...by his beloved wife and children." KoS later states that it was Vestenbora who dedicated the temple to Maran Gor.

All this seems fine and dandy until one gets to the Maran Gor cult write up in Tales. This article notes that Priestess must be unmarried and celibate. Acolytes must also be unmarried, or they must divorce their current mate. They must dedicate any female children to Maran Gor or Babeester Gor, and any male children must be sacrificed.

This leaves us with a number of possibilities.

  1. Sorana Tor was not a priestess when Arim and she met and had their children.
  2. The stricture about a priestesses ability to have sex, and children was not added until after the time of Sorana Tor.
  3. The twins are the children of Arim and another unnamed woman. Sorana Tor was merely the Queen and co-ruler of the Tarsh Tribe.
  4. Sorana Tor is actually a priestess of another goddess. Ernalda or Kero Fin seem like likely candidates.

I am not very happy with any of these choices, but I would probably choose D) based upon the available evidence. That would make Sorana Tor the High Priestess of Ernalda, or Kero Fin (though it does not appear to me that Kero Fin is actually worshipped), or perhaps some unknown earth goddess.

What are others opinions on this subject? - ----------