Sorana Tor

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 10:13:26 +1300

Malcolm Serabian:

>Mystery 1 surrounds Sorana Tor and her goddess.

>It clearly states in "The Carving of Tarsh" that 'Sarana-tor' is the "High
>Priestess of the Shaking Earth." It goes on to state that [Arim and Sorana
>Tor] were lovers and founders of the Twins Dynasty.

>All this seems fine and dandy until one gets to the Maran Gor cult write up in
>Tales. This article notes that Priestess must be unmarried and celibate.

>This leaves us with a number of possibilities.

>D) Sorana Tor is actually a priestess of another goddess. Ernalda or Kero Fin
>seem like likely candidates.

The carving of Tarsh is very old and thus when it says that Arim married the Priestess of the Shaking Earth, it is probably in error. Her actual title is the Feathered Queen of the Kerofini Temple which is not the same thing as the Obese Cannibal Queen carried around by 47 virgins (Maran Gor) nor the Feathered Horse Queen of the Grazers (Arandayla). As well as Arim, Sorana's other husbands are Ilaro Blacktooth and Argrath, which indicates very strongly that this is not an isolated one-off.

Hence I would chose D and say that Sorana worships the KeroFin. The Maran Gor cult writeup does indicate that the other earth goddesses do have a say in running the land and I suspect that Maran Gor is merely the most prominent earth goddess that outsiders encounter at the Kerofini Temple. Hence the Temple at the Base of Wintertop is oft believed to be dedicated to Maran Gor.

[burps]

Next question?