two weapons

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 13:42:32 +0800

>I have suffered enough in AD&D with the "ambidextrous two-weapons using"
>characters. How many historical heros were using two weapons ? I know only
>of a few japanese.

        It was apparently reasonably common among Vikings, or at least among their fictional heros, tending towards two axes or two spears. Rapier and main gauche was a standard fencing choice in some places. There are numerous martial arts two weapon styles, most of which were presumably used historically by someone.

        And there are quite a few fictional heroes as well - ie Moonglum, the Gray Mouser.

        IMG two weapon use is rare amongst your average warrior, but reasonably common for your minor hero types like tough Rune Lords. Which means I have no objection to PCs doing it.

        In the Hahlgrims war stuff in Cults of Terror, there is a scene where the warriors go off to fight, the leaders all armed with two bastard swords each.

        Using an off-hand weapon is the better tactic, all other things being equal. Which, considering shields start at 25% and off hand weapon at 5%, they are quite definately not. But for those rare individuals happy to spend the time and effort to transcend such initial limitations, two weapon use is quite likely. Viking use is a good comparison for the Sartarites - it wasn't exactly standard practice, but it shows up in saga heroes (and probably in some historical real tough guys, though I defer to the more knowledgeable).

        And I expect martial arts two weapon techniques to be as common in Glorantha as in the real world, in those areas where martial arts schools exist.

        Cheers

                David