RE: Glorantha Digest V4 #226

From: Aden Steinke <Aden_Steinke_at_uow.edu.au>
Date: 28 Feb 1997 18:34:34 +1100

hmmm

Martin Laurie responding to Andrew Joelson says..

>Prove it! You say Storm Bull blasted the Devil at the block - thats just how
>the locals explain the Block! It happens all the time in the RW - People see
>volcanic mountain and say an angry earth god lives there! Or a tall mountain
>is the home of the Gods or this big Block crushed the Devil because its
>surrounded by Chaos things so something big must have been splatted under it.
>As for Waha wandering about - thats a plain a case of a potent hero (small h)
>saving the people and them deifying him as I've ever heard. Oakfed swallowed
>up Prax's forests? - how do you know this - cos the Shaman told you - I
presume
>you take everything at face value in the RW too - of course not! Anything
>passed on by word and ritual is going, by definition, to be unfactual. Prax
is
>Prax because climatically its a chaparral - they just found a myth to explain
>why it wasn't as verdant as Sartar as the Praxians haven't invented weather
>experts yet!

What a load of tosh - RW concerns are not Gloranthan ones, you can 'talk' to god to verify things - and weather / fertility are directly influenced by magic / religion etc. You can also ask long dead beings, so the verbal histories are more reliable than the RW ones. With regards to seeing different things on the hero/godplane over time, Greg seems to concede there is still a 'reality' underlying it, though with appropriate tools you can manipulate it and each different type of hero quester sees it from a different perspective.

Aden