Childbearing

From: Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG <Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 12:27:07 -0500

I'd like to say that Jane Williams take of childbearing and warriors in 225 was bang on. (And I agree with her that childbearing doesn't get the respect it deserves in our society. You need a license to own a dog or drive a car but to have children, nada).

Her point on the expendability of men is great too. I can still remember my first year University anthro prof telling a stunned class full of eighteen years old that men were basically useless and that's why men are so full of themselves and have to make themselves seem important to society when they really aren't. (Can't say that he's far off on a fairly superficial level). Bravo Jane.

I'd also like to add to Jane's arguments that I think societal pressure and disapproval would weigh a lot more heavily on individuals than they do in our own society (and of course I mean Western society) and in a society like the Orlanthi there would be a lot of pressure for women of child bearing age to do just that. The situation would be quite different in Esrolia and other parts of Glorantha.

Oliver D. Bernuetz
bernuetz.oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca