myths, dragonewts and umath

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 1997 15:37:49 +1300

Aden Steinke:

>What a load of tosh - RW concerns are not Gloranthan ones, you can 'talk' to
>god to verify things - and weather / fertility are directly influenced by
>magic / religion etc.

You can. But it seems that they are hardly unbiased sources (ask Yelm about whether the Great Compromise exists). As for weather/fertility being directly influenced by magic/religion, they are also influenced by technology in the real world. Yet if I were to preach the Cult of Technology (God is the Celestial Machine) in the Real World, and claim to have verify its teachings by saying that I can influence weather and fertility by using technology - I have a feeling that people would laugh at me.

Yet by saying that the Gods (ie beings you can talk to by means of a divination spell) are the source of weather/fertility because you can influence natural phenomenon by using their magic, you are indulging in a similar leap of faith, methinks.

>With regards to seeing different things on the hero/godplane over time,
>Greg seems to concede there is still a 'reality' underlying it, though
>with appropriate tools you can manipulate it and each different type of
>hero quester sees it from a different perspective.

The trouble is that you can also fashion viewpoints on the Heroplane because of your religions teaching. A Malkioni today visiting the site of Arkat slaying the Vampire King would see both Arkat and the Vampire King dressed up in the latest form of armour as opposed to what they historically wore. The change has been caused by the belief of Malkioni surreptiously and unconciously updating their part of the Heroplane while stoutly maintaining that they believe what their forefathers did(*). Similar processes happen all over glorantha and only the Lunars can see the difference.

(*) not all items will be updated - those that are explicity mentioned in the myth will be retained (cf Ajax's shield and bronze equipment in homer).

Simon Phipp:

SP>>>I know that bad Dragonewts
>>>are occasionally reborn as newtlings, but this is beyond a joke.

Me>>I don't know about you but IMG Magisaurs and Newtlings are seperate
>>species.

>They are, but see WF14 (the best source on Dragonewts) and check out
>the scenario - there are two newtlings who are reborn dishonoured
>dragonewts.

I recall it as having the abilities of newtlings. Even if they are actually newtlings, it merely makes 'the Dragonewts are draconized newtlings' thesis even stronger, since these dragonewts by their dishonour have extirpated whatever draconic essense they had within them, and so ended up as newtlings. Which it makes it less than 'beyond a joke'. Unless you have evidence of dishonored dragonewts ending up as humans, trolls or whatever.

>> Why do the Dragonewts make slaves of Newtlings?

>Because they can.

As opposed to not making slaves out of trollkin, ducks, runners and/or pygmies? Somethings not right here if Dragonewts aren't related to newtlings.

>> Why do Dragonewts send embassies to Newtling enclaves (like the Five
>> Eyes Temple)?

>Do they?

Check out the Five Eyes Temple scenario in Borderlands where such an embassy is described.

>> In the Ivory Pages edition of the GRAY, there is reference to
>> how Umatum, a planet, circles inwards and disturbs the orbits
>> of various other planets...

>Hmm, apart from going around the wrong way, this could be a
>description of Umath.

Why is it going the _wrong_ way around? Orlanth's ring currently behaves in this way. The only person who has said that Umath is going in the wrong direction is you.

>In the Solar mythology, when was the Sky parted from the Earth and
>how? I know that the Sky supposedly withdrew from the world in
>disgust at its evilness, but that is probably a Solar morality story.

Only Yelm withdraws and that is when the Nestendos invades.