Two weapon use

From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 00:44:00 -0600 (CST)

My understanding, from watching and talking to a bunch of SCA nuts that I used to game with, was that using two weapons was very hard. Most of the really good people did it, but only after they'd gotten good with sword and shield. I saw one guy with a pole axe who did a number on two handed weapon types, but he was considered very good. Generally the two weapon guys munched the sword and shield guys.

I have to object to the idea that must cultures trained people for mass combat. The Romans and the Greeks did, but most cultures expected that one-on-one fights were what was important. Most cultures consider war to be an occassion for them to demonstrate their valor and personal prowess. and gain status amoung their fellows. Most cultures "wars" consist primarily of indecisive skirmishes, ambushes, formal challenges, and the like. Pitched decisive battles are unusual and are avoided when possible by these cultures. That's one of the reason's why people who treat war as a business kick their ass almost every time.

Any culture that uses broad swords, axes or two handed swords is not planning on fighting in tight formations. People who expect their fights to be only mass battles use weapons adopted to this, such as spears and pikes (and other pole arms), missile weapons, and short swords.

Kevin