Death before Dishonour

From: David Hall <Glorantha_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 06:13:32 -0500

Leaving Humakt

Roberto Gaiba
>The only ex-Humakti are dead Humakti

I agree whole-heartedly - at least for Sartar and Orlanthi Humakti. The only real way to leave the cult is through death, usually in battle. Sartarite Humakti long for (or are resigned to) the day when they will sing their glorious Death Song on the battlefield.

In Sartar the cult of the God of Death, War and Endings cannot be joined and left like the Boy Scouts. It's a pretty grim and doom-laden cult and not one to join (or be accepted into) on a whim. Life is often short, harsh and bloody in barbarian Sartar and therefore there is need for a grim and lethal god of Death.

However, for Humakti in more civilised cultures (where the regimental temple structure is more formalised) this may not be so and there may be rituals and rules for leaving a Humakti regiment. In more civilised areas I suspect the Death aspect is played down in favour of the Honourable aspect of Humakt. To leave Humakt there might only lead to dishonour and social stigma.

Humakti Geasa

I tend towards a pretty stern Celtic point of view on this. Surely each Humakti who takes a gift and geas is pledging an oath to Humakt that they will observe their geas? Humakti oaths are usually binding unto death.

In a game I'd tend to allow penitent geas-breaking initiates the chance to make good through great deeds in the service of Humakt (probably without the ability use of a sword - which shatter in the hands of geas-breakers). After which they'd probably get back the original gift and geas and have to take another!

Humakti Swords would be quite another matter. There would be a real opportunity to role-play angst, guilt and remorse. However, I still think the final result would be the Sword having to sing his Death Song.

Pregnant Babeester Gor

In my game this is, of course, impossible*. IMO Babeester Gor worshippers are fully celibate and sacrifice their fertility in order to become a holy avenger of the Earth. This is the ultimate sacrifice a woman can make in the service of the Earth, but it allows Babeester Gori to fully embrace the mean, brutal, and deadly powers they require to pursue their chosen path.

IMO there is no wishy-washy middle ground where they can act and function like any other woman and yet still be deadly holy avengers. To serve as a holy avenger requires *sacrifice* - a denial of her nurturing, reproductive and life-giving aspects in favour of cruelty, slaughter, and Death.

Please note that one of Babeester Gor's major myths is the slaughter of the defenceless residents of Healing Valley (similar myths are hinted about Humakt). This illustrates how Babeester Gor brings death, and while she serves life and fertility, she does not partake of it.

Brrr... she scares me.

Otkorion

Nick Effingham's write up of St. Orlanth follows the cult write-up template too closely for my tastes. My suggestion would be that for Malkioni the sect template presented in Tales #13 is used. It is more relevant.

For a different view of the Henotheist Church of Otkorion see the the How the West was One freeform sect write-up which you can find at the soda.berkeley ftp site and (I think) at Loren Miller's web page. Or, if there is the demand, I can post it to the digest.

GL Monomyths

Martin Laurie's approach is spot on IMHO.

Cacodemon

>Does anyone know the high holy day for Cacodemon?

I don't think anyone responded to this?! According to the cult write-up in Elder Secrets there are no official holy days. Each priest sets his own.

All Hail the Reaching Moon!

David Hall