Re: heroquests, kids

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 11:10:51 -0800

Andrew Bean

> was wondering why did the
> 13 Broo suddenly ... go off and attack the whole Varmandi
> clan in one place ? Just because a bunch of humans decided to do a ritual
> and sack some MP's ? I assume they died horribly.

Greg has consistently mentioned that it's possible to be inadvertently drawn into a heroquest.

Tapani Mylly wrote

> my Babeester character is
> pregnant. ... As the children is born, I am going to leave it to
> Chalanan Arroy temple.

Sounds exactly like a Babeester Gor thing to do. BG characters make better aunts than mothers.

Another possibility for warrior women is the concept of fostering (common among Celts and Vikings, so I presume among the Orlanthi). Now usually you'd wait until the child were considerably older before you fostered it, but perhaps people make an exception for a Vingan or BG.

Ed Tonry had some good comments about two-weapon fighting, but closed

> Besides, can you allow 2 attacks and a parry to one PC, and not to all
> the others?

You could easily allow this by having them split up their skill between hands. If a fighter wanted to make a 40% attack with his off-hand weapon, he'd have to deduct 40% from his skill with his main-hand weapon.

Philip Hibbs responsed to me

> >by removing the relevant skin (or body part), but you don't gain use of
> >the enchantment
>
> I don't see why not - you just have to skin the chap and have his hide
> tanned to make soft leather armour (or hard leather if it's a troll skin).

For practical reasons. I think tattoo enchantments are real common, but I don't want to encourage people to go around skinning their enemies.