Flails

From: Nikk Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 22:27:46 +0000

James Frusetta:

>Offhand, the shaft _could_ be of solid metal, if you've got the strength
>and fatigue to handle it. Or you just rely on deflections rather than
>blocks, which should damage the haft less. Or slap a bunch of armoring
>enchantments on your B&C.

 As maybe, but I the majority of flails would not be metal, nor would they have enchantments. Even if they were metal, they'd only have the bare minimum of resistance to damage, swords, halberds etc.. are specially made and prepared in hours of smelting and forging (all techniques that I'm not that familiar with).

>Don't know about a light flail or light ball and chain, but if the chain's
>heavy enough, and you've got a weight on the end, I'd think you could try
>to entangle the enemy weapon and then "pull" it off course.

 IMG I would most defintely interpret this as an attack on the enemy weapon rather than a parry against the enemy weapon. Ergo, not a parry.

 Does anybody know historically how the ball and chain was used?????

Nikk E.

Nikk the Broo Shaman of Thed
http://www.personal.u-net.com/~eff

    "If absolute power corrupts absolutely,