women only and 'newts

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 1997 15:07:47 +1300

V S Greene:

> One would think that in Glorantha there might be a cult/society of
>women who reproduce via magic without the need of men. I don't know of one,
>but is there? I remember something about Unicorn riders, but I don't think
>they reproduce in an unusual fashion. How horrible would it be if I threw
>such a society onto My Glorantha, and what grotesque errors should I avoid?

The Unicorn Women (not all who ride) reproduce by stealing female kids and intercourse with male slaves. Malicious gossip involving the unicorns or their horns can be found in several unreliable illustrated treatises stuffed under the mattresses of pimpled-faced apprentices at any temple of knowledge.

The Trowjangi Amazons sleep with Tolat and not mere mortal men.

There are bound to be similar societies in the East Isles and Pamaltela. They are likely to be very small compared to surrounding male nations. IMO such societies are often warlike (to scare off the males) and/or hidden (so they can't be found). Amazonian Societies which are not warlike nor hidden are easily infiltrated by men and are likely to have lost their magical means of reproduction.

Loren Miller:

SP>> They are, but see WF14 (the best source on Dragonewts) and check out
>> the scenario - there are two newtlings who are reborn dishonoured
>> dragonewts.

>This is why people think Glorantha is hard to grasp. Because the best
>way to find out about an important facet of Glorantha like the
>dragonewts *WHO GROW UP INTO FREAKING DRAGONS FOR CHRISSAKE!* is in
>the 14th issue of a small-press-run fanzine that has been out of
>print for 15 or 20 years since it was initially printed.

To be fair to AH, much of this was updated and reprinted in Elder Secrets including the scenario (in which there are three shady dragonewts: two dragonewts are merely outlaws who have seen the error of their ways and the last one is a warrior who died in dishonorable circumstances and ended up being reborn as a scout). An updated Draconic magic can be found in Codex #3.