Handedness (rulesy)

From: Dave Henry <thebeast_at_MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 1997 15:40:00 EST

[This post is mostly rules-ish. Skip to the next if that doesn't interest you.]

        In my game (not quite Glorantha, but with an awful lot of Gloranthan background) PC handedness is handled as follows:

        If a PC wants to be either right- or left-handed, they declare it so and they are. They get the basic weapon chance with the "on" hand and the 5% chance with the "off" hand.

        If a PC wants to randomly determine handedness, or wants a chance to be ambidextrous, they roll both a D4 and a D10. Results are compared as follows:

	D10 is higher		character is right-handed
	D4 is higher		character is left-handed
	D10 and D4 are equal	character is ambidextrous

	An ambidextrous character would get one skill per weapon,
istead of an "on" and "off" skill.

        For two weapon use, I allow characters one attack and one parry per weapon, provided they can fit all the strike ranks into a round. Only two of the PC's have ever really gone for two weapon use. One uses a sword with a Fireblade matrix and a steel (my world's equivalent of Gloranthan iron) parrying dagger. Since her off-hand dagger attack is low, she mostly uses this style to get the parrying option -- this dagger is enchanted to be IIRC about 25 or 30 armor points. The other character uses a one-handed spear and shortsword combination (he's a large boy). He mostly chose this style because it fits so well with his flamboyant Orlanthi nature. :-)

                -Dave