Flail Parry

From: Jim Bickmeyer <JFBickmeyer_at_msn.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 97 00:41:34 UT

Nikk Effingham
>Having just flooded the Digest with the cult, I'd now like to ask a question
>that would be better placed on the (missed) RQ Rules Digest. Can you, and
>how do you, parry with a flail, notably a ball and chain.

>If you use the handle, surely it'd split under first weapon contact?

I read a good description on the use of a chain type weapon. For the most part you don't parry with the weapon like you would with a sword or spear. For defense the wielder swings the chain weapon in a figure 8. The chain or striking part deflects a weapons thrust or swing. The motion of the figure 8 keeps the weapon velocity up so when the wielder attacks they already have a fast moving weapon. Most ball and chain weapons have a haft that can be used to parry with. It shouldn't split under a weapon contact any faster than a spear would.

The real trick to flails and ball and chains is trying to stop the attack. As I understand it, the wielder would strike at the edge shield with the haft of the flail and the momentum of the ball would swing around the shield striking the defender.

In game terms;
I have played it that Chained weapons are hard to use as a parrying weapon and are hard to parry. To get full parry percent the wielder must get the figure 8 in motion and the attack must come from an area the figure 8 covers. If the attack comes from a shielded side or from the sides the flail can not be used to defend with.

To parry a flail attack the defender is at 1/2 their chance with a shield and at 3/4 if parrying with a weapon. Just to make things interesting I also like to have a special success flail attack entangle the weapon used to parry with.

Jim

PS - Boy do we need a RQ-Rules digest.