births

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 17:01:00 -0800

Hey There, Gloranthaphiles,

Much agreement w/ David Hall about Babeester Gor losing her fertility. I would also say the same of Humakt. He is the god of death and endings, after all - pretty much the antithesis of fertility and birth.

Fertilty in Glornatha is a magical thing - a gift from the ancient gods of life. MOST Gloranthans are connected to them in some way. But those who sever their connections with Life become sterile. Babs and Humakt are _not_ popular paths to walk. Their heropaths are those of the desperate and the hopeless. Generating new life is NOT within this realm.

I do agree with David H. that, under unusual circumstances, a conception or birth may occur to one on these paths - but there would be some special reason for it.

If the above view is too extreme for your Glorantha, you could have initiates of these cults be fertile only on certain days, or only at the lower levels of cultic initiation. Frex, Humakti men may be somewhat fertile until they become Swords, or until they sacrifice for their first "Sever Spirit" spell. Or Humakt and Babs may be temporary paths which people undertake until they have completed an oath or a vengeance mission - then they revert to their former Orlanth/Ernalda selves.

You can, of course, do whatever you like in your Gloranthas, but do consider the full implications of the cults that your PC's flock to. Glorantha is a magical world. Can a person really master a realm (death, life, fire, darkness) without some sacrifice to its opposite?

Sorry if I'm wiggy today. Chalk it up to spending the last 36 hours hammering out Shargashi philosophy with Martin Laurie and Dennis Hoover - -

FOR THE UPCOMING GLORANTHA CON V PUBLICATION - (JULY 25-27, 1997, VICTORIA).... Pam