Sorana Tor Conclusions - More Tarsh Questions

From: Malcolm Serabian <R_Carter_at_msn.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 97 15:26:43 UT

Thanks to Peter, Pam, and Jane for the feedback on Sorana Tor. With your input, my mulling things over, and yet another review of KoS - I've come to the following conclusions on Sorana Tor, the Shaker Temple, and the Earth cults in Tarsh.

Sorana Tor is the High Priestess of Ernalda, and beyond that of the Earth religion in total. In the time of Vestenbora the temple, which had been a great temple to all the Earth goddesses, was dedicated to Maran Gor. It still remains a place of worship for all the goddesses. Furthermore I also believe that the high priestess of the temple can fluctuate as the power of the various goddesses and their factions in the temple rise and fall.

In 1330 the temple is controlled by the Ernalda faction and Sorana Tor, High Priestess of Ernalda. In 1368 or so Vestenbora, her daughter, becomes High Priestess of the temple and the Maran Gor faction gains control. Just before the Tarsh Civil war a faction dedicated to the Tarsh War Goddess (Babeester Gor?) has taken the lead at the temple. In 1448 the Ernalda/Sorana Tor faction again gains control of the temple. With the coming of Hon Eel the power reverts to the Maran Gor priestesses, and it has remained with them ever since.

Opinions?

Now for more questions! Anyone have any ideas on what the Shaker Temple looks like. The Dragon Pass game symbol for the temple and the illustration in Wyrms Footprints show the temple as looking like the parthenon. Do people still think it looks like that? I don't have any ideas of my own on it.

What about clothing for the Tarshites? Tarsh War pictures the Lunar Tarshites in middle-eastern inspired clothing, while the Exiles look like typical Orlanthi. What was their clothing like before the coming of Hon Eel?

Anyone know of enough about Tarshite culture, before and after Hon Eel, to offer a RW analog?

Thanks for your help!

Malcolm