Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #234

From: Jose Ramos <Jose.Ramos_at_univ-angers.fr>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 12:25:14 +0000

Me

>>There is a clear difference to me between Saints and Gods.

Peter Metcalfe

>Just as mortal men can be turned into gods in glorantha, then gods
>can be de-euhumerized into pious saints. Several Gloranthan
>Malkioni sects have acquired the convert-winning habit of 'discovering'
>that the pagan gods of heathen barbarians were actually pious malkioni
>in 'real life' who worshipped the Invisible God. As well as the
>Henothiests, the Sedalpists, the Jonatings and the Valkarians of the
>East Isles all have Saints whose antecedents are rather spurious in
>the eyes of more orthodox folk.

If you have read my post, I agree wholly with that. What I propose is that the Church sees a difference between Saints and Gods, so the sedalpists, who it is likely they have a St. Worlath, do not worship him, but (perhaps) show him as a man who achieved total control of a natural phenomenon, and a rightful path to follow. And if you follow it, you will end up with certain control over Storm.

However in Otkorion they worship the GOD Orlanth (Orland IMG), right hand of the IG. So it is a cult, and you access its powers in an organised cultic way.

That is the difference. Even if some beings are worshipped/followed in both ways.

And the saints list will differ enormously from one sect to the other, so following a saint may have you burnt in a neighbouring land. And again, if you do not like christian parallels, think the different boddhisatvas and the competing buddhists sects, sometimes violently.

Jose