Two weapons

From: Arf <A.R.Wilson_at_herts.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 13:22:48 +0000 (GMT)

> From: David Weihe <weihe_at_gsidanet.danet.com>
>
> First, two weapons techniques are usually reserved to martial artists, not
> working warriors.

Are you saying that fighting isn't a martial art? Then what is?

> The point is that you will almost never see two of the exact same weapon
> used. They will get in each other's way, without giving the wielder more
> options. Also, most people are cripples on their off-side, with neither
> the strength nor dexterity. This limits the real choices to a few light
> and easy weapons.

I think this depends upon whether you have the choice of what to use or not. ie if you are a freelance mercenary/adventurer, you can train in and buy whatever wepons you'd prefer, on the other hand, if you're a Sun Dome Templar, you have to use the weapons you are issued with (see below)

> From: "Jane Williams" <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
> > >much more difficult to use two weapons than a weapon and shield.
>
> .. and I agree with him. Has anyone else tried this with steel (i.e.
> full weight) weapons? My own re-enactment experience is very limited,
> but "done that" answers are really what we need here.

I Re-enact in the Sealed Knot (English Civil War & other 17th century stuff) whith conflicts a bit more advanced than your average gloranthan bash, but the principles are mainly the same.

I have used hand-to-hand combinations of (reversed) musket & hanger (a basket-hilt shortsword), the weight of the musket makes it very cumbersome to parry with; halberd & rapier; this time the length of the halberd makes parrying difficult, as well as the length of the two weapons making any other long weapon awkward to use; pike & hanger, this is usually with one end of the pike on the ground - the butt end makes a very effective parrying weapon when the point is grounded, and with the butt grounded, you have the advantage that your foe has to dodge around/under the point to get anywhere near you (epecially effective against mounted opponents); rapier & hanger, surprisingly this is very awkward, and IMO any long/shortsword combination would warrant extensive training.

In my experience, it is far easier to fight an opponent with two weapons if you yourself have one two handed weapon of 4.5-7 feet in length -eg halberd, half-pike (spear), reversed musket or a even a colour (standard).

The point made previously (don't recall by whom) about two weapon combos being rare on the battlefield has a valid reason - for massed battles it is far more practical to use a sheild when you may be at any point fighting several foes - there is no way you are going to be able to parry 3 - 4 blows at once, and a sheild makes effective cover.

Cheers,

Arf.