Fertility and Death Cults

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_mail.airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 17:17:32 +0000

I think that having all Babeester Gor and Humakt initiates become sterile upon joining the cult is a bit extreme to my way of thinking. I think that option should be mainly for the most fanatical worshippers (although it might well be necessary for rune levels).

Magically-induced sterility, however, has little mythic flavor. The priests of Cybele in Asia Minor were required to castrate themselves to show their devotion to the Goddess. Humakti might be required to castrate themselves (leaving the phallus intact, of course, for symbolic reasons). BG initiates might be required to have their vaginas sewn shut and/or to undergo clitoridectomies (a symbolic castration?)

Guy