Death cults and fertility

From: nilsw_at_ibm.net
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 97 22:08:45

Pam:

>Much agreement w/ David Hall about Babeester Gor losing her fertility.
>I would also say the same of Humakt. He is the god of death and
>endings, after all - pretty much the antithesis of fertility and birth.
>
>Fertilty in Glornatha is a magical thing - a gift from the ancient gods
>of life. MOST Gloranthans are connected to them in some way. But those
>who sever their connections with Life become sterile.

That's the way we have always run it in my gaming group. Members of highly death-oriented cults loose their powers of procreation. How it works can vary of course. I wouldn't be surprised if a Babeester Gor initiation ceremony includes rather grisly surgery to permanently render the new initiate sterile.

For those of you who want gross detail: cutting out the ovaries with a flint blade, without any kind of pain killer. As for Humakti, since their god _is_ death I think they are magically unable to have children. I don't know about Zorak Zorani, but I lean towards something really brutal and horrible, like having to rip out and eat your own
testicles or something. A Shargashi might be so burning spiritually with the fires of destruction that his powers of fertility are turned to ashes. Etc.

>I do agree with David H. that, under unusual circumstances, a conception
>or birth may occur to one on these paths - but there would be some
>special reason for it.

Yeah, heroquests, illumination, strange occurences during Sacred Time. Of course, if the sterilization is of the corporeal kind, tough luck...

Weinander            | Everything is dust in the wind Home:
nilsw_at_ibm.net       |

Office: nils_at_carasoft.se |
WWW: http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/