Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #235

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_gsidanet.danet.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 97 16:24:15 EST

> From: michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se (Michael Raaterova)
> Subject: OOP Stuff
> LOREN THE LIST (emeritus):
> >Please, do me a favor. If you have a detail of Gloranthan minutae
> >that hasn't seen daylight since Avalon Hill got its grubby hands on
> >RQ, then don't expect anybody to take it as gospel. You have to
> >re-establish it as likely all over again. You have to take a trip to
> >the well of knowledge, and MAKE A REASON UP why it should be true in
> >our Gloranthas.
>
> This is of course heartily seconded. If stuff isn't in-print, it's ipso
> facto *not* official material *now*, and can thus not be used to establish
> 'facts' about the Glorantha of today.

Just because all you Johnny-come-latelys don't have it doesn't make it utter nonsense :-)

        <enter rant mode>

If *AVALON*HILL* reprinting it is the definition of what's "official" then quit quoting what appears in the fanzines, too, especially where it disagrees with the four inch column in the now-infallible GoG. At least, quit quoting what TotRM said in *their* out-of-print issues. And of course, if some other magazine stops publishing then anything in IT becomes unmentionable, as well. Heavens, I never realized that the commercial success of this game was what dictated reality! I'd better quit and play AD&D in the Forgotten Realms, instead, where they sell LOTS of copies! Screw quality, give me in-print and crap, instead!

        <exit rant mode>

Alternately, I suggest that we can view claims from the old stuff as fragments from the Gloranthan Old Testament. I.e., interesting, but in need of additional explanations, unless superceded, like Rapiers hitting S/MR in RQ1 (which made one with Fireblade the Ultimate superweapon, until we bought our own books and found it changed in RQ2) or the Monomyth being correct, or at least relevant, in all (or any) societies.

Or is this all a plot to get those of us who bought RuneQuest 1 & 2 materials back then to sell them, so you can pick them up cheap? :-)