myriad topics

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 13:47:06 +1300

Pam Carlson:

>Much agreement w/ David Hall about Babeester Gor losing her fertility.
>I would also say the same of Humakt. He is the god of death and
>endings, after all - pretty much the antithesis of fertility and birth.

But Humakt has a widely acknowledged son - Arkat - so this is not absolute. I would only regard the fertility severing as something that occurs in the highest ranks of the cult and not something that affects every cult member.

I don't think Babeester Gor cultists have lost their fertility nor are celibrate. Maran Gor which is also an Malign Earth diety have special strictures for acolytes (cannot marry - must sacrifice male offspring and dedicate females to maran or babs) whereas Priestesses must be celibrate. There are no similar restrictions for Babs in GoG. Hence I would view her initiates as those who are unable to be happy in a peaceful society (like the elves do).

Malcolm Serabian:

>Now for more questions! Anyone have any ideas on what the Shaker Temple looks
>like. The Dragon Pass game symbol for the temple and the illustration in Wyrms
>Footprints show the temple as looking like the parthenon. Do people still
>think it looks like that?

If the greek style architeture originates from NW Peloria since Sheng Seleris's war, I would think that the Earth Shaker Temple was rebuilt in that style when Hon-eel came into the land.

>Anyone know of enough about Tarshite culture, before and after Hon Eel, to
>offer a RW analog?

Romanized Gaul?

Nick Brooke:

>The name's structure (N-T-R)
>was similar enough to Genert (N-R-T) and Jernotius (R-N-T) for me to fit
>him into the pan-Gloranthan pattern of ancient male earth-associated
>deities... (and then Greg went and changed Jernotius into Rashorana, the
>bugger!).

Jernotius isn't what I consider to be your average 'male earth-associated' diety. Half the time, he's female!

Jose Ramos:

JR>>There is a clear difference to me between Saints and Gods.

Me>>Just as mortal men can be turned into gods in glorantha, then gods
>>can be de-euhumerized into pious saints.

>If you have read my post, I agree wholly with that. What I propose is that
>the Church sees a difference between Saints and Gods, so the sedalpists,
>who it is likely they have a St. Worlath, do not worship him, but (perhaps)
>show him as a man who achieved total control of a natural phenomenon, and a
>rightful path to follow. And if you follow it, you will end up with certain
>control over Storm.

I agree here.

>However in Otkorion they worship the GOD Orlanth (Orland IMG), right hand
>of the IG. So it is a cult, and you access its powers in an organised
>cultic way.

But I do not agree here. IMO if you start having a two tier system of Gods and Saints, then over time the cults of the Gods and the churches of the Saints will become _similar_ to each other. Just as the Gods become Saintlike, so the Saints will become Godlike. Your example of Gabriel and Michael being called saints even though they are strictly angels is relevant here.

In Otkorion, I do not believe that they have Saintly Cults on the ToTRM#13 model. Rather the cults of Saints universal, local and heretical in Otkorion are considered to be almost theistic by more orthodox Malkioni IMO.

Philip Hibbs:

>I'd like to see a list of blessings for a more western model, St. Orlanth,
>St. Humakt, St. Chalana, etc. Any ideas?

Sandy gives some blessings for Saint Theya who is a Goddess in the East Isles. Generally I would take one particular runespell and make a blessing out of it. St Humakt would teach something like Sever Spirit whereas Chalana would teach Heal Body. It would be more difficult for Everyman (or woman) gods like Ralia and Orlanth as the range of their spells is so immense, one has difficulty deciding which one is appropiate.

>Should it be possible for a theistic worshipper of Orlanth, Humakt, LM etc.
>to translate his faith to this model?

I believe that he could. He probably have to take a vow (costing POW) which will alter his magic and way of thinking over time. As a result, there will probably be somethings that he can't do (ie cast divination to his god) and somethings that he can now do that he found impossible to do so before. If he breaks his vow, then he backslides into the old ways.

There may be in the Arkat Cult ways to reverse this process while keeping the newfound insights but it probably involves illumination.

No real rules for this, I'm afraid as my thoughts on this are incomplete