MGF vs world realism

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 03:21:48 -0500 (EST)

Martin Laurie noted....

> As for MGF, the problem is that the monomyth destorys MGF as it curtails
> exploring mythic structures in Glorantha and the wonderful dichotomies
> between
> the subjective views - some of my greatest MGF is exploring the
differences
> between an Orlanthi mythic view and a Shargashi mythic view and on
personal
> level, finding out how things happened or possibly happened to create the
> cults
> we have in 1620. By doing this backtracking we find out even more about
the
> cultures our characters are in and about the past and who it affects the
> present.

        Which is fine. I'm suggesting that MGF is acheived by a lot of different ways. One group might well enjoy the idea that the Monomyth as presented in most of the RQ stuff is a rough approximation of history and that the cultures of Glorantha have several common events in their histories (the Greater and Lesser Darkness, the Dawn, the Sunstop, ect.). Having wildly different myths and histories and gods who are the (after a fashion) the creations of their worshippers is also perfectly legit. Heck, if I should happen to run a campaign in the future I'd likely try for Something Completely Different and assume a wildly different Truth. Even now in the rotating GM game I'm in I've been improvising; witness the Ikadz torturer I mentioned (and thanks for everybody'd comments, by the way).

        Point being, at this time the Orthodox Veiw seems to be that using the Monomyth is "God Learnerism'" and to be decryed and mocked. I figure that people should do what's fun for them. I like the Monomyth and the old stuff; I'm not terribly fond of the addition of a fire god to the Orlanth pantheon (Elmal) and what seems to be a wind god to the Yelm pantheon (Shargash, if I'm interpreting correctly), seems pointless, but hey, whatever works. Any new RQ material (could happen; they said they'd never clone adult mammels, after all) should probably go with the New Orthodoxy and depth on local pantheons and cultures.

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...