Two Weapons

From: Lewis Jardine <jardine_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 10:32:37 +0000

> And on two-weapon use: I believe paired cestus/fighting claws were
> sometimes used, too. And I know someone who swears by paired sai, and
> nunchaku are used in pairs. But these are all short/small weapons, of
> course, and not necessarily used on the battlefield.
>
> James Frusetta

As someone who has used sais (although I am no expert) I think its worth clarifying how they work.
  1. Sais are primarily a streetfighting weapon they were never designed for the battlefield. They would have hopeless armour penetration and would not be much good against a greatsword or for that matter any long stabbing weapon in a mass combat environment.
  2. The adantage of sais is that they are small and concealable.
  3. As a martial arts weapon they are used for training (the forearms) and as an extension of the body in combat.
  4. They are an excellent defensive weapon (you lie them along the outer edge of your forearm with the hilt facing forwards). Effectively, they give you a solid metal forearm to parry with! Parry into strike is a simple flick of the wrist which sends the tip wizzing forwards.

Most people are pretty good at moving their arms about so parrying a sword (or whatever) is quite easy. They can also be used to entangle using the hilts but this is much harder (and you risk losing fingers...) Also, the two can be crossed together for a stronger block.

5) Attacks are:

  1. Strikes with the shaft/tip (using heavy hands/chi approach to give it more impact). Typical targets are temple, ribs etc...
  2. Stabs with either the point (like a dagger). Typical targets throat, eyes...
  3. Jabs with the hilt (like an extension of a pointed finger(s) strike). Typical targets sternum, solar plexus...
  4. Hooking with the curved (pointed) hilt (holding the shaft). The objective of this last strike is to dig the hilt behind the collar bone, then you pull...

Tonfas are a somewhat similar but even less militarized weapon. Despite popular police culture they are traditionally used in pairs. Unlike sais you can do some nice roundhouse swings (much favoured by cops).

Cheers

        Lewis

PS> Final words of chinese wisdom:
"Master says use three sais; have one spare tucked into sash at back."