Henotheist Church and Stygian Church

From: Ingo Tschinke <tschinke_at_nord.de>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 16:58:22 +0100

Paolo Guccione wrote:

>Henotheist Church
>=================

I agree with your statements about the henotheistic church very much. I think it is typical for this church to be taken as instrument by mighty rulers.

>Naskorion
>=========
>David Dunham
>suggested that Otkorion is more fertile than the Orlanthi kingdoms of
>Delela or Lankst, but I believe it is still inferior to most Safelstran
>city-states. Being rather distant from Seshnela, Naskorion has also been
>relatively uninfluenced by Tanisor invasions in the past, and surely it
>has always been the first region to return free after the periodic
>Seshnelan invasions. So I tend to consider Naskorion, too, a land of
>malkionized Orlanthi farmers ruled by orlanthized Malkioni nobles, of
>both Aeolian and Stygian faith.

That is also my opinion. But I think Naskorion has never be part of the tanisor invasion. It was not interesting and rich enough, and to far away, to be target of invasion by tanisor.

>But what is the difference between the Church of Otkorion and the New
>Stygian Church of Naskorion? First of all, the Stygian church is
>younger, and less strictly controlled by the Throne. The Duke is not the
>Head of the Church, although the Bishop of Marost reports to him, I
>suppose. But the intent of reuniting all nobles and peasants under one
>Faith sounds like something Reynard planned to strengthen his land and
>eventually expand his domains with some help from Halikiv or Guhan,
>which he befriended by building Zorakarkat.

The duke will get power by it. He sees himself second in row to the reborn Arkats, as it was promised to him by Kurzum Aragat. The real man behind this new movement is Kurzum, but he has no real power of rulership (no power in Halikiv and no power outside of it). So he need the duke for his goals.

And then, there are the Trolls. Arkat founded a mighty empire in Ralios.
>But in this empire the trolls, being shaped as Arkat's last incarnation,
>were the rulers, and the Orlanthi were subject to them. That is why, I
>think, most true Orlanthi in Ralios hate Arkat: their ancestors did not
>like paying tribute to the Uz!

Yes but not the safelstrans, what is more important to Rainard.

>All these facts induce me to considering the New Stygian Church as a
>more "genuine" religious group than the two Henotheist Churches. I think
>Reynard saw a real political advantage in founding it, but one must also
>be a genuine believer to mess with the trolls. Imagine the priest mixing
>Powzie to holy wine for the godsday service!

Yes, that is true. Very funny idea. Must think on it. Rainard and Kurzum are in fact real good sly foxes. I will try to translate their characters from Rise of Ralios later on.

Cheers

ingo