Glorantha & growth

From: Paul2.Harmaty <Paul2.Harmaty_at_aig.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 13:41:53 -0500

Mr. Sarabian writes:
> The monomyth makes Glorantha more user friendly. . . .
> It is a way to get new players and gm interested in Glorantha. It is IMHO a
> necessity if Glorantha is going to grow and survive in the game marketplace.
. .
> I don't want to play in the Forgotten Realms, I want to play in Glorantha.

A monomyth is unnecessary !
I'm totally against new material trying to reconcile the various myths. I believe that each source book should present the accepted world view for characters from that culture. All GMs and players need is a comprehensive world view for their characters. Let the GM practice mental masturbation, if s/he want to, by seeking underlying truths (whatever that means).

My feelings are that the VAST majority of RQ player (& GMs) don't give a rat's ass about deep mythic truths or objective histories. What they want is GLORANTHA to be just as accessible as D&D's FORGOTTEN REALMS. Hey, RQ went down the toilet and D&D is a multi-million dollar success. Perhaps shooting for a broader market isn't such a bad idea.

David Cake rants:

> In short, if you like to believe that the RQ2 Orlanthi stuff is
> correct all the time, then run a game from the Orlanthi viewpoint and
> ignore our multi-cultural babbling.
> - - so, you won't be 'official' Glorantha. So what.

I don't believe this is a bad idea. The supposition that there is something wrong with this is what I find offensive. How much does a Sartarite farmer or Praxian nomad need to know? Why should the characters care what the Lunar's believe? They're all without honor and bloody liars anyway.

If Chaosium wants to attract NEW players, good source material for each nation/culture is what's needed. Comprehensive, coherent, stand alone material has the best chance to get a GM & players interested in Glorantha.