Re: OOP Stuff

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 97 23:38 MET

Loren:
>>Please, do me a favor. If you have a detail of Gloranthan minutae
>>that hasn't seen daylight since Avalon Hill got its grubby hands on
>>RQ, then don't expect anybody to take it as gospel. You have to
>>re-establish it as likely all over again. You have to take a trip to
>>the well of knowledge, and MAKE A REASON UP why it should be true in
>>our Gloranthas.

Michael Raaterova
>This is of course heartily seconded. If stuff isn't in-print, it's ipso
>facto *not* official material *now*, and can thus not be used to establish
>'facts' about the Glorantha of today.

Fine. Since Tales 1-13 are mostly out of print, the cults of Geo (#3), Humakt (#5), Maran Gor (#6), Caladra and Aurelion (#7), the Crimson Bat (#8), Dormal (#10), Pamalt (#11) etc. are unofficial?

Sorry to by that caustic, but it doesn't serve anyone to discount more than half of the few bits of published information we have on Glorantha just because one hasn't had a chance to read it _yet_.

On the other hand, I do hate it as well when I get the "it must be true" argument from old sources. People do change their minds, printed stuff doesn't, so old sources may not be the current conception of the world any more. Old stuff is to be taken with a grain of salt, but this should not stop anyone to harvest the ideas.

For those of you who can read German, there is a synopsis of the WF #14 article in Free INT #9 (the one which should have a yellow cover for uniformity), by Ingo Tschinke.

WRT newtlings as dragonewt ancestors, I doubt it. The dragonewt in question, Whip Lizard the slave master, is a warrior stage ("beaked") dragonewt which, upon rebirth, had lost its draconic memories and skills, instead having the skills (only) of a newtling in dragonewt shape. This is very weak "evidence".

In any case, the newtlings familiar to most Gloranthans are the infertile bachelor stage. The adult newtlings look (ironically) more like newt tadpoles.