On myth

From: Martin Laurie <102541.3423_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 04 Mar 97 19:29:45 EST

Nils on rudeness and myth:
>I don't think you are rude Martin. However, you have been saying "I'm
>right, you who don't agree are wrong". Since we are discussing a
>fictional world whose creator has said "make it your own", this could
>be seen as a bit arrogant.

Nope, you are absolutely wrong, wrong, wrong and I'm utterly right - but only in a non-conflagatory way of course...

I don't think I've told anyone that they are wrong as of yet, merely disagreed and put forth my point of view - my mock venom at Simon Phipp is really just that - I get irked by the clobbering of Harrek stuff and the removal of Argrath cos he was "inconvenient" but other than that I have no objection to his Glorantha - its not mine, thats all.

>People have different tastes, so we should all acknowledge each
>other's right to differing opinions. This is not directed against
>Marting in particular. Most of us, myself included are too eager to
>force our opinions on the others.

Well argument and debate is fine, I've certainly found this debate rather mild compared to some of the scraps I've been in - the Blue Vadeli and the Onslaught stats ones were superheavyweight contests of blood chilling word violence compared to the row we've had to date.

Opinion is what we are discussing here and whats the point of me putting mine if I don't believe I am right and you are wrong? Why would we be even talking about it unless there was some possiblity of us gaining a fresh perspective by discussion?

ME>As for MGF, the problem is that the monomyth destorys MGF as it curtails
>>exploring mythic structures in Glorantha and the wonderful dichotomies between
>>the subjective views - some of my greatest MGF is exploring the differences
>>between an Orlanthi mythic view and a Shargashi mythic view and on personal
>>level

>_Your_ MGF, which isn't necessarily my MGF, or John Doe's MGF.
>Furthermore, this difference between Orlanthi and Shargashi is in no
>way done away by a monomythical approach. I think most proponents of
>the monomyth agree that during time the "actual" events of the godtime
>have been distorted and interpreted differently by different cultures.

Yes but with one central "truth" that binds it all together. I simply don't get this attitude - if since the "actual" events of time have distorted god time as you suggest then where is the proof that there actually is a momomyth?

If someone could prove to me that there is a monomyth and counter every argument that gods are created with a solid fact then I'd be sold back to the monomyth as I was a few years back - since then I realised that societies don't work that way and Gloranthan people are still people and time is still time and things are changed by events and if Glorantha is magical then those events are changed by the perception of those events because in Glorantha, perception has power.

The reason why I don't support monomyth is that it has no logical origin given the nature of humanity (in the broad sense) and the way we know myths are created. For the monomyth to work, the gods would have to be visible and constantly keeping their followers in rigidly defined guidlines that define the cults and stop change - as we know that the cults have all changed massively over time, we know this is not the case.

Martin Laurie

An Orlanthi and a Shargashi would have as different views in a campaign run by me as in a campaign run by you.