dragonewts

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 17:00:52 +1300

Joerg Baumgartner:

>WRT newtlings as dragonewt ancestors, I doubt it. The dragonewt in question,
>Whip Lizard the slave master, is a warrior stage ("beaked") dragonewt which,
>upon rebirth, had lost its draconic memories and skills, instead having the
>skills (only) of a newtling in dragonewt shape. This is very weak "evidence".

But it's not the _only_ evidence and certainly not one that I had originally used. I've already posted that in Elder Secrets Whip Lizard is merely a scout dragonewt.

>In any case, the newtlings familiar to most Gloranthans are the infertile
>bachelor stage. The adult newtlings look (ironically) more like newt tadpoles.

Not a problem. Dragonewts are merely draconized _neotenic_ newtlings. Neotency occurs when an immature form of a species does not develop into the adult stage but is able to reproduce.