Lunar College of Magic

From: Erik Hamilton <ham_at_queeg.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 21:43:42 -0800 (PST)

I was preparing to force (read: adjust) Sandy's Sorcery Rules to add a little color to Lunar Sorcerors. Not those GoG Red Goddess Initiates, with their Spirit Sorcery (but that would be another interesting *adjustment*) but the brass tacks SORCERORS. I'm torn as to how to apply the process to Lunar sorcery. In my understanding, Red has made it her goal to heal the Invisible God, and so disapproves of Western Sorcerors, as they prevent the IG from being what he is supposed to become by persisting in worshipping him as he is and was. In this, I always thought, she has limbered up the sorcery system and made it more flexible.

I'm mulling over three concepts (and scrabbling for others):

1.) Lunar sorcery stresses the cyclical nature of existence, and so the vows Lunar sorcerors take change with the phases of the moon (or along the same cycle if you're in the Heartlands, where the moon does not wax and wane). So a vow of Abstinence on the Full Moon would be a a vow of orgiastic overindulgence on the New Moon, for instance.

2.) As in Sandy's Draconic Magic, the important stress is on balance, and so Lunar Sorcerors attempt to become wholly balanced, fusing the Draconic Magic rules with Sorcery. I have not really thought this idea out yet, but the end result is a bunch of incredibly well-adjusted, possibly illuminated magical philosophers. I'm not sure...

3.) A system with a somewhat Arrolian outlook, fusing the ideas of chaos and law. Perhaps there would be both chaos and law inspired vows. And hey, Malia Tersea could be a patron saint. Who knows...

Any suggestions?

Erik Hamilton

For my part a Swallow spell is all I need to be happy.